OcTAVE, which stands for Occupational Therapy: Activities, Vocation and Empowerment, offers a range of outpatient rehabilitation programmes aimed at promoting community independence, providing therapeutic support, nurturing clients’ potential and facilitating their recovery.
Each of the three OcTAVE centres - located in IMH, Bukit Batok and at Cantonment Road - offers a different selection of programmes. For more information, please call 6389 2904.
The programmes available are categorised into four major domains, namely Clinical Rehabilitation, Empowerment, Vocational Training and Job Club.
1. Clinical Rehabilitation
Our clinical rehabilitation programme consists of psychosocial interventions aimed at empowering clients to manage their own health and well-being. This supports their recovery and enables them to pursue a meaningful life.
Participants are required to apply what they learn in the activities and skills training, and share their experiences in group sessions. As such, a proactive attitude is very important.
||The group programmes available are:
• Personal Effectiveness of Successful Living (PESL) – this aims to optimise clients’ functioning in their life roles and occupations through goal setting and social skills training;
• Illness Self-Management and Recovery (ISMR) – this aims to equip clients with personal strategies and coping skills to manage their symptoms and reduce relapses to achieve their personal goals;
• Cognitive Remediation - this aims to improve attention, memory and problem-solving skills and imparts thinking skills strategies using computer programmes and group exercises;
• Health Management – this aims to equip clients with knowledge and practical tips on healthy lifestyle habits (e.g. healthy eating, exercise and sleep hygiene) to improve their quality of life;
The Empowerment Programme aims to provide rehabilitation and promote recovery in persons with mental health conditions through the use of meaningful activities. We provide a safe environment for personal development and skills development through a variety of activities. Clients are encouraged to take an active role in their rehabilitation and recovery and can sign up for activities of their choice each week.
The activities we offer include:
• Art and craft
• Team-building activities
• Life management skills groups
• Community meeting/volunteering opportunities
• Basic computer skills
• Recovery-oriented group session (led by a peer support specialist)
Craft products made by clients are sold under the branding of “Craft Creates”. Clients are trained and empowered to sell craft items at the pushcart in IMH, and this boosts their self-esteem, social skills and facilitates community reintegration.
3. Vocational Rehabilitation
Vocational training serves as a rehabilitation platform for persons with psychiatric conditions, prior to them seeking competitive employment in the community. Clients who have been unemployed for long periods and who have low confidence levels will benefit from this programme. Upon completion of the programme, occupational therapists will facilitate the clients’ transition to Job Club services for employment assistance.
||• To equip clients with the skills relevant to an industry;
• To improve work behaviours (e.g. work habits, work endurance and social skills);
• To facilitate reintegration into competitive employment; and
• To improve the clients’ tolerance and confidence levels for work.
We offer vocational training programmes in the following areas:
• Food and Beverage
4. Job Club
Job Club is a one-stop centre which assists clients with their employment needs. Run by vocational specialists and job placement officers, the team provides vocational counselling and assessment, as well as job-matching. During job-seeking and placement process, the team works closely with both employers and potential employees to ensure job fit and placement success.
||Programmes and services available at Job Club:
• Individually-tailored rehabilitation counselling
• Job preparation
• Support groups
• Job placement support for clients and employers
• Employer education workshops
Click here to learn about Job Club.
If you are interested in these programmes, please ask your psychiatrist for a referral to OcTAVE. We also accept clients who are seeking treatment at other psychiatric facilities.
You will be required to attend an appointment for an initial assessment that will help us understand your goals in life. This guides your rehabilitation and treatment goals. We encourage you to bring your family members along for this assessment.
For enquiries about Occupational Therapy, please call 6389 2904 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buangkok Green Medical Park
10 Buangkok View
Tel: 6389 2904
Buses: 88, 43, 109, 101, 156, 159, 161, 325
25 Cantonment Road
Buses: 32, 33, 63, 64, 132, 145
Bukit Batok Polyclinic Level 3
50 Bukit Batok West Ave 3
Buses: 66, 157, 174, 176, 178, 188, 941